Last week we introduced Sonder City Chats, a new series spotlighting the leaders behind every Sonder market, including their favorite spots in every city. For this week’s feature, we connected with Robin Lozano, Sonder’s General Manager of San Antonio. Robin has been with Sonder since July of 2018, and has lived in San Antonio for 8 years. After nearly a decade in the River City, she’s gathered a long list of must-see destinations, which she’s shared with us below.
- What’s the best kept secret about San Antonio? San Antonio is the seventh largest city in the US and one of the fastest growing, but it’s also one of the oldest, having just celebrated its 300th birthday. Its history, culture, and friendly vibe make it a great place to raise a family.
- What’s one activity you’ve always had on your bucket list but haven’t gotten to do yet? Bike the entire Mission Reach trail and see all 5 of the historic Missions back-to-back – the Alamo, Concepcion, San Jose, San Juan, and Espada.
- Where’s the first place you take family and friends when they visit? The Alamo and the Riverwalk are the classic destinations, but I love to take people to the Pearl Brewery complex. This historic complex was a brewery from 1883 to 2001, when it was shut down. It’s since been transformed into a hub for shopping, dining, living, entertainment, and community space.
- Which Sonder space is your favorite? This one bedroom at La Villita. It has a great view of the Riverwalk and a beautiful gallery wall in the living room.
- What’s the first place you’re going to visit when this is over? Pearl Farmers Market on Saturday. They have live music, a place for my kids to run around, great restaurant options and lots of local farmers and small producers. We usually meet up with friends, get breakfast from Sol Y Luna Bakery or Bakery Lorraine and coffee from Local Coffee, then sit in the sun and listen to music and catch up.
- Top 3 restaurants? Oh man, I don’t know if I can pick just three! San Antonio has a surprisingly diverse and fast-growing restaurant scene, and it goes way beyond just tex-mex! Some of the Sonder team’s favorites: The Jerk Shack, Singh’s Vietnamese, Battalion, The Bottling Department Food Hall at the Pearl, The Esquire Tavern, Two Bros BBQ Market – and of course, La Fonda on Main is my favorite Tex-Mex, but everyone in San Antonio has their own favorite place for enchiladas, barbacoa, breakfast tacos, and queso, and we’re passionate about our preferences!
- Most beautiful spot in the city? San Antonio Botanical Gardens is in the heart of the city and is gorgeous year-round, with lots of room to roam. If you want to get out of the city, the Texas Hill Country is less than an hour away and there are many state parks with spectacular hiking, biking, and camping.
Rapid-fire questions: what’s your favorite?
Date night spot?
Maverick Texas Brasserie or Jazz TX
Feliz Modern or The Tiny Finch
Place to go for a walk/run?
The Museum Reach section of the riverwalk – less crowded and beautifully landscaped trail with art installations